Methodist roots in Hendersonville go back to the pioneer period. Bishop Francis Asbury visited the area over 200 years ago. His journal reports the presence of Methodists then.
Hendersonville First United Methodist Church traces its beginnings to 1882. A church history written by Judy Ransom in 1999 tells the story of our congregation since that time. Copies of this history are available in the church office.
In the late 1950’s the congregation investigated the possibilities of potential growth, given the building of Old Hickory Dam. Under the pastorate of Dr. J.W.L. Matlock, who was also an engineer by training, the present building site was consecrated on February 6, 1960 on land given by Dr. and Mrs. Roger Burrus.
Since then, there have been numerous building programs to expand and update our facilities. The approximately 90,000 square foot church campus now includes the following handicap accessible buildings:
- The original Sanctuary and educational wings in the three story Main Building (built in1960’s)
- The Ben C. Alexander Christian Life Center for healthful recreation and fellowship (built in 1986)
- A Children’s Wing to house our Children First Developmental Preschool and Children’s Sunday School classes (built in 1995)
- Administrative Wing to house Staff Offices and Adult Sunday School rooms (built in 2003)
Today the church numbers approximately 2,000 members and has unlimited possibilities for ministry in our community and the world.